Alsergrund, 9th district of Vienna, area 2.99 km2, pop. 40,416 (1991), on the lower Alserbach stream ( Alserbach), between Alserstrasse and the Danube Canal. In 1862 the suburb of Alser was unified with other suburbs (Rossau, Althangrund, Thury, Lichtenthal, Himmelpfortgrund, Michelbeuern) to form the 9th district of Vienna. Home to numerous public facilities and institutions, especially in the hospital and university area. Old General Hospital, opened 1784 by Joseph II; since 1997 used as the campus of Vienna University. New General Hospital from 1904; the New General Hospital has been fully operational since 1992/1993; old hospital building used for Josephinum from 1783-1785, now the Department for the History of Medicine. Department buildings of the University of Vienna, Austrian National Bank (1913-1925). Servitenkirche church (built 1651-1677) with Peregrini chapel (frescoes by J. A. Moelk), Lichtentaler Parish Church (called "Schubertkirche, built from 1712), Votivkirche (Votive Church, built 1856-1879 by H. Ferstel), Canisiuskirche church (1899-1903), birthplace of Franz Schubert (Schubert Museum), Rossauer Kaserne barracks (1865-1870, police traffic control headquarters also used by other police and army authorities; now under renovation and put to new use), Palais Liechtenstein (1691-1711) with Museum of Modern Art Ludwig Foundation Vienna, Volksoper (1898), Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof train station, Vienna University Biology Centre and Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration (since 1982), federal authorities building (transport authority), Spittelau waste incineration and district heating plant (opened 1969, since 1990 back in operation after fire, 460 MWh, artistic design by F. Hundertwasser).
Highly diverse business structure on the basis of many small industrial and commercial enterprises ("backyard industries"): Production of clothing, bedlinen and shoes, metal and timber processing, printing and publishing.
Literature#F. Ceike, Historisches Lexikon Wien, 5 vols., 1992-1997.