Alte Donau (Old Danube), largest left-hand branch of the Danube still
in existence after its regulation in 1868-1881 within the Vienna city
limits (21st and 22nd districts), now approximately
1.6 km2, elongated lake linked to the Neue Donau (New
Danube) via ground water, popular leisure area for Viennese,
approximately 10 km of bathing beach, water sports facilities,
water park in the west, Danube Park on the southern shore, as well as
the largest island ("Gaensehaeufel") with a bathing beach.
This contribution was taken from an Austrian Encyclopaedia "Österreich Lexikon" © 1995 by Verlagsgemeinschaft Österreich-Lexikon. Pictures and links (if applicable) have been removed. To view them click the link above to get to the Austrian version. That version is also updated more frequently.