Altmuenster, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Gmunden, alt. 442 m, pop. 9,067, area 79.01 km2, bathing and health resort on the western shore of Lake Traunsee, ship landing stage. - Hospital, SOS-Kinderdorf (orphaned childrens' village), leisure centre, vocational hotel and catering school, vocational school and specialised school for agriculture and forestry, federal boarding school (Traunsee Palace), "Kulturtage" cultural festival; tourism (142,585 overnight stays), timber processing, metal processing, machine manufacturing. - Oldest settlement on the western shore of Lake Traunsee; late Gothic hall church (1470-1480; called "Muenster" before 1600; high altarpiece by J. Sandrart, 1636) with altar sculpture in Allerheiligenkapelle (All Saints' Chapel, 1518), tomb of Count A. Herberstorff; Baroque figures in parish church by J. G. Schwanthaler (18th century); Calvary church (1844-1846); Ebenzweier Palace (17th century, renovated 1842); Viechtauer Heimathaus (museum of local culture). - 6 km from Altmuenster, Hoehenwildpark Hochkreut (mountain game park); ski area at the foot of Hochlecken mountain.
Further reading#E. Moser, Altmuenster. 25 Jahre Marktgemeinde, 1977.