b. Naples (Italy), May 8, 1657, d. Heiligenkreuz (Lower Austria), Sept. 14, 1745, painter, father of Bartolomeo Altomonte. Played an important role as mediator between Italian and Austrian art. From 1684 painter at the court of King Jan Sobieski in Warsaw, from 1707 member of the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, from the early 18th century worked mainly in Salzburg, Vienna, Upper and Lower Austria, Styria and Burgenland. From 1738 permanent employment ("Familiaris") and commission as a painter at the monastery in Heiligenkreuz.
Works#Ceiling paintings and altarpieces: Vienna: (St. Stephen´s Cathedral, St. Peter's Church, St. Charles' Church, Lower Belvedere); Lower Austria: Krems an der Donau, Retz, Wiener Neustadt, Zwettl; Upper Austria: Linz (Karmeliterkirche, Ursulinenkirche, Seminarkirche), St. Florian (Monastery Chapel and Marble Hall), Stadl-Paura, Timelkam, Wilhering; Salzburg (Residenz); Styria: Poellau; Burgenland: Moenchhof. Main works also in Oesterreichische Galerie Belvedere (Baroque Museum), Vienna.
Literature#H. Aurenhammer, M. A., 1965; H. Lorenz (ed.), Barock, Geschichte der bildenden Kunst in Oesterreich, ed. by H. Fillitz, vol. 4, 1999.