Ampass, Tyrol, municipality in the district of Innsbruck-Land, alt. 736 m, pop. 1,158, area 7.90 km2 east of Innsbruck on the southern bank of the River Inn. - First documented 1145, late Gothic - Baroque parish church with clock tower (1739), St. Veit filial church (1521). In 1985 a marble reliquary (around 450 A.D.) in the form of a late Roman sarcophagus containing relics and cloth and wood remnants was found under the high altar.
Further reading#F. Steinegger, Chronik von Ampass, 1974; R. Pillinger, Fruehes Christentum in Oesterreich, in: Mitteilungen zur fruehchristlichen Archaeologie in Oesterreich 5, 1993.