Attersee, Upper Austria, municipality in the district of Voecklabruck, alt. 496 m, pop. 1,481, area 14.73 km2, lake bathing and water sports centre on the western shore of Lake Attersee; ship landing stage (Attersee ship service). - Tourism; machine manufacturing and axle factory. - First documented in 885 as "Atarnhova", imperial palace in the 9th century, castle in the 13th century; pilgrimage church, former palace chapel, originally Gothic, altered (1721-1728) by J. Pawanger with late Baroque high altar; old parish church now a Protestant church (since 1813). Gothic church of St. Laurentius in Abtsdorf.
Further reading#A. Zauner, Voecklabruck und der Attergau, 1971; F. A. Goeschl, Attersee. Wasser und Geschichte, 1996.