Au, Vorarlberg, municipality in the district of Bregenz, alt. 800 m, pop. 1,572, area 44.91 km2, biseasonal tourist town (187,766 overnight stays) in Bregenzerwald area, at the confluence of the Argenbach stream and the Bregenzer Ache river. - St. Josef Hospital and retirement home; timber processing, furniture manufacturing. - Originally Gothic parish church (changed to Baroque style at end of 18th century) with frescoes and lavish stucco (1778), "Einhoefe" farmhouses (18th century).
Further reading#H. Gsteu, Unsere Heimat Au im Bregenzerwald, 1972.