Bezau, Vorarlberg, market town (1962) in the district of Bregenz, alt. 650 m, pop. 1708, area 34.42 km2, centre of the Bregenzerwald mountain region, terminal stop of the Bregenzerwald-Museumsbahn train service. - District court, arts centre, commercial school, technical school of tourism, college of domestic science, cable railway to the Sonderdach (1,208 m) and Baumgarten (1,624 m mountains); primarily small businesses (esp. trade), wood processing, spinning; bi-seasonal tourism (105,000 overnight stays). - Parish church of St. Jodok (1907/08) with trompe l'oeil painting, high altar (17th century) altered in 1925, Franciscan church and monastery (1904 and 1980); typical farms of the Bregenzerwald region with living quarters and stables being accommodated under the same roof (19th century); museum of local history in one of the farms dating from the 18th century.
Literature#Marktgemeinde Bezau (ed.), commemorative publication to celebrate the conveyance of market town status, 1962.