Austrian Conference of Bishops. The Austrian Conference of Bishops was first set up by the Minister of the Interior Count F. Stadion in 1849. It was at first responsible only for the western part of the Austro-Hungarian empire; since 1918 it has covered the entire area of the Republic of Austria. In the 19th century, such conferences were held in different countries. Since the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), episcopal conferences are an institution of public law with jurisdictional competences. The Austrian Conference of Bishops is a public corporation whose competence is based on the Code of 1983. Members are all diocesan bishops, the suffragan bishops and the abbot of Mehrerau. The Austrian Conference of Bishops has a permanent secretariat. It is usually chaired by the archbishop of Vienna.
Publications#Amtsblatt der Oesterreichischen Bischofskonferenz, 1984ff; Secretariat of the Austrian Conference of Bishops (ed.), 150 Jahre Oesterreichische Bischofskonferenz 1849-1999, 1999.