Brixlegg, Tyrol, market town in the district of Kufstein, alt. 534 m, pop. 2,639, area 9.09 km2, old mining site at the mouth of the Alpbach stream into the River Inn, situated northwest of the Karwendel mountain range. - Copper-smelting plant of Brixlegg Montanwerke, production of fulled-fabric clothes, mineral water and soft drinks, weaving mill, tourism (46,389 overnight stays). - First documented mention in 788 under the name of "Prisslech", from the 15th to the 17th century centre of silver and copper mining in the Tyrol, from 1867 to 1913 Passion plays were performed, largely destroyed in 1944/45. Late Gothic parish church (1508) with frescos and altarpieces (1768, C. A. Mayr); Gothic church of St. Bartholomew at Mehrn (first documented mention in 1357, enlarged from 1661 to 1668); copper-smith's house (17th century); Mehrenstein Ruin; residences of Lanegg (second half of the 16th century) and of Grasegg (17/18th century); Lichtenwerth castle, was formerly situated on an island, Kropfsberg Ruin, Museum of Mining and the Steel and Iron Industry of the Province of the Tyrol; Neu-Matzen castle (in the municipality of Muenster). Sonnwendjoch skiing area near the municipalities of Kramsach and Alpbach.
Literature#S. Landmann (ed.), Brixlegg, eine Tiroler Gemeinde im Wandel der Zeiten, 1988.