Burgau, Styria, market town in the district of Fuerstenfeld; alt. 303 m; pop. 1,134; area 20.00 km2; situated at the beginning of the Lafnitz Valley; north of Fuerstenfeld; consists of two parts - Kirchegg and Markt Burgau; forestry and timber processing; meat products factory; fruit growing; column dedicated to the Virgin Mary (1775); castle (first documented mention in 1367); rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries; parish church with choir in late Gothic style and nave dating from the 17th and 18th centuries; Virgin Mary (dating from around 1420); oldest cotton mill in Austria (set up in 1789; closed down).
Literature#H. Pirchegger, Geschichte der Stadt und des Bez. Fuerstenfeld, 1952.