Dobl, Styria, municipality in the district of Graz-Umgebung, alt. 330 m, pop. 1,298. (1981: pop. 1,106), area 13.65 km2, on the Doblbach river south of Graz, between the Kaiserwald woods and the Kainach river. Economic structure dominated by manufacturing trade (production of containers, sheep-wool weavery); Transmitter station with 156-m tower, erected in 1942 and used again after 1995 (by "Antenne Steiermark", the first Austrian private radio station). - Parish church with late Romanesque core (first documented in 1219, former castle chapel), Baroque and neo-Romanesque alterations and additional buildings as well as Rococo furnishings (endowed by Maria Theresia in 1760). The "Gjaidhof", built in the 13th century by the Babenberg dynasty, was later used as imperial hunting lodge, altered in Renaissance style 1568-70, further alterations in the 19th century.
Literature#J. Spann, Geschichte der Pfarre Dobl bei Graz, 1978.