Eberstein, Carinthia, market town in the district of St. Veit, alt. 580 m, pop. 1,593, area 65.18 km2, small summer tourist centre (12,612 overnight stays) in Goertschitz valley at the foot of Saualpe mountain range. - Branch of the St. Veit an der Glan District Commission (youth office), forest guard station, stone breaking plant, turkey breeding, roof shingle production. - Iron processing since the 16th century; E. castle (first documented mention in the 12th century) with Gothic chapel, in 1851 reconstructed in neo-Gothic style; Roman finds on the castle hill. Late Gothic fortified parish church of Hochfeistritz (1446-1491), west portal framed with painted figurines; on the southern wall of the sacristy, frescoes imitative of lenten veils; Baroque high altar (from around 1670); Gothic carved figures. Late Gothic parish church of St. Walburgen. Gothic parish church (documented in 1369) in the nearby village of St. Oswald with frescoes (1514) and Baroque altars with late Gothic carved figures (late 15th century). Ruin of late medieval Gillitzstein castle close by.