unbekannter Gast


Elephant: In 1551/1552 Archduke Maximilian, who later became Emperor Maximilian II, brought the first elephant to Austria on his way back form Spain. Today some house epigraphs recall that event and mark its route (Brixen/Bressanone, Lambach, Linz, Vienna). The elephant was kept in the Kaiserebersdorf zoo, where it died quite soon afterwards (1554). Vienna´s mayor, Sebastian Huetstocker had a bone chair made out of the elephant´s right foreleg, which has been kept in the monastery of Kremsmuenster since 1678.