Finstermuenz, Tirol, alt. 995 m, narrow pass in the Upper Inn valley (on the border between Tirol and Switzerland) between the Samnaun mountains and the Oetztaler Alps, with the ruins of the former customs post Hoch-Finstermuenz, which was built in1472 by Duke Sigmund von Tirol and renamed Sigmundseck. The three-storey bridge tower, the five-storey roadblock and a tower on the rocky projection (Sigmundseck) still exist. Chapel dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin (first documented mention in 1605) with an altar dating from 1696. In 1799 the French engaged in a coalition war against Austria and suffered a crushing defeat.