unbekannter Gast


Gaensehaeufel, wooded sand island in the "Old Danube", a stretch of standing water separated from the river by regulation, in the 22nd district of Vienna, with summer bathing establishment operated by the City of Vienna (opened in 1909 as 1st family bathing establishment). The Viennese F. Berndl "discovered" the G. and was actively engaged in its development. After its destruction in World War II, re-erected as the largest and most modern summer bathing establishment in Vienna (and as one of the largest on the European continent) by M. Fellerer in 1950. Its name ("goose heap") derives from the original accumulation of small islands, which were mainly used for goose breeding.