Gaal, Styria, municipality in the district of Knittelfeld, alt. 900 m, pop. 1,585, area 197.36 km2, situated on the southern side of the Niedere Tauern mountains. Parish church with Romanesque tower erected over the choir and late-Baroque nave; Wasserberg castle (built in 1274, modifications in the middle of the 19th century). The Gaal Crucifix, 236 cm high and produced in Swabia around 1160-1170 was a roadside cross in G. until 1930 and is now in the Ferdinandeum provincial museum, Innsbruck; with its side figures, the Virgin and St John the Evangelist (in Seckau), it was the oldest monumental crucifix group of the German-speaking countries.
Literature#B. Roth, Seckau. Geschichte und Kultur, 1964.