Gaming, Lower Austria market town in the district of Scheibbs, alt. 431 m, pop. 3,793, area 243.94 km2, popular destination for summer tourists (145,743 overnight stays), situated by the Gamingbach stream in the Eisenwurzen region. - District Chamber of Agriculture, Lower Austrian Youth Centre, agricultural school, hydroelectric power station (established 1923-1926) formerly called Pockau, today Gaming 1 (38,831 MWh), power station Gaming 2 (6,027 MWh), both supplied with Alpine spring water from the Vienna water mains; production of steel bottles. Previously, hammer mills between Kienberg and G. (only "Grabner-Hammer" hammer mill preserved as a museum), abandoned hard-coal mine. - Former Carthusian monastery with 20 monk's cells, founded 1332, dissolved 1782; monument to Albrecht II and his spouse, Johanna von Pfirt, today hotel and centre for cultural events (Chopin Festival since 1985), with two courts as the architectural centre of the complex. Abbey church (1332-1342) with tripartite choir (renovated around 1620), elaborate marble portal (1631). Splendid library interior with Baroque frescos by W. L. Reiner. Late-Gothic parish church in the centre of the village; pillory (1643). Herminenquelle spa to the east of G. Oetscher-Tormaeuer national park with Treffling waterfalls and Oetscher stalactite cave.
Literature#650 Jahre Kartause G.: Vielfalt des Heilens - Ganzheitsmedizin, exhibition catalogue, Kartause Gaming, 1992.