Gfoehl, Lower Austria, town in the district of Krems, alt. 579, pop. 3,715, area 80.76 km2, Southern Waldviertel (region in Lower Austria), clothes and uniform manufacturing, poultry breeding, district branch of the chamber of agriculture, Baroque parish church (1715-1720), crypt chapel (1761) with tomb of the Sinzendorf family. The Gfoehl forest was formerly under direct control of the local princes. Clearing started in the 16th century, with farms loosely scattered. From the 15th century onwards, the "Jaidhof" hunting lodge constituted the local centre. It was converted into a palace designed in Classicist style in the 19th century.