Gleisdorf, Styria, town in the district of Weiz, alt. 362m, pop. 5,225, area 4.76 km2. Situated in the Raab valley, traffic junction. - District Commission, district court, employment services, district health insurance office, Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry, Eastern Styrian regional development centre, welfare centre, Dominican convent housing a specialised boarding school (domestic science school), research institute of the Federal Institute of Horticulture, sports complex, Gymnasium and Bundesrealgymnasium secondary schools, specialised school for fruit-growing. In 1991, 65% of the local workforce (3,603), were employed in the service industries (esp. trade). Important manufacturing sectors are steel construction (equipment, materials handling), die-castings for the automobile industry, production of fruit juice, spectacle frames and breathing equipment; concrete plant, fruit plantations, fruit processing, municipal electric utility (including renewable energies). - First documented mention 1229; town status since 1920: Baroque parish church (1648-1672), restored 1891-1893; former Piarist monastery and church (1744-1747), local history museum with portrait gallery from Freiberg castle. Roman excavations near Gleisdorf in the municipality of St. Ruprecht an der Raab (amphitheatre, tombs).
Literature#R. F. Hausmann and S. Rosenberger, Gleisdorf 1229-1979, 1979; H. Riedl, Gleisdorf. Ein Beitrag zur Sozialgeographie einer oststeirischen Kleinstadt, 1971.