Gosau, Upper Austria, municipality in the district of Gmunden, alt. 767 m, pop. 1,942, area 113.39 km2, summer and winter tourism (246,823 overnight stays), Salzkammergut region, on the River Gosau and at the foot of the Gosaukamm crest. - Nursing homes, health resorts and rehabilitation centres run by the Protestant church, children´s home run by the order of the Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross, community centre, leisure centre for young people, storage power station (in 1919: 6,500 MWh), cable car to the Zwieselalm (alt. 1,436 m), well-known ski resort. In recent years the almost extinct craft of stone polishing has been revived as a business incentive for the region. Gosau was the first Protestant community in Austria that openly adopted the Protestant faith after the Edict of Tolerance. In 1991, 79% of the population was Protestant. - Catholic parish church with core from the late Gothic period (1500), extended and refurbished in 1874; Protestant parish church in neo-Gothic style (1864-1869), Baroque stations of the cross with Calvary chapel (1775). - Road over the Gschuett pass, connecting the provinces of Upper Austria and Salzburg. On the Gosau stream: lakes Vorderer Gosausee and Hinterer Gosausee.
Literature#P. Bauer, Das Gosautal und seine Geschichte von den Uranfaengen bis zur Gegenwart, 1971