unbekannter Gast


Groebming, Styria, market town in the district of Liezen, alt. 770 m, pop. 2,167, area 66.91 km2, summer and winter holiday resort (83,169 overnight stays) on a plateau southeast of the Dachstein mountains, in the upper Ennstal valley. Due to its sunny geographical location it is often referred to as the "Styrian Davos" (after the famous holiday resort in Switzerland). - District court, external branch offices of the District Commission (e.g. district education authorities), employment services, forestry inspection, Economic Chamber, convalescent home (of the workers' pension insurance agency), Stoderzinken alpine scenic road (alt. 1,800 m, toll-road) with Friedenskirchlein chapel, convent of the School Sisters, sports centre, agricultural vocational school; wood-processing industry (sawmill, production of windows, carpentry), production of ready-mixed concrete, 2 stone-breaking plants, printing works (local publication "Der Ennstaler"), cheese dairy, power station, Soelk power plant (built 1973-1983 in Stein an der Enns). - Property of the prince-archbishops of Salzburg from the 10th century to 1803; late Gothic parish church (built 1491-1500), single-nave church with large, longitudinal choir, large Gothic winged altar (around 1520) from the workshop of L. Astl, splendid high altar (1725); Protestant church (1850-1853); Renaissance Thanneck Castle in Moosheim, various forms of alpine farmhouses (Paarhof, Haufenhof).


H. Pirchegger, Geschichte des Bezirks Groebming, 1951.