Groedig, Salzburg, market town in the district of Salzburg-Land, alt. 446 m, pop. 6,071 (1981: pop. 5,426), area 23.07 km2, summer holiday resort (67,113 overnight stays) at the foot of the Untersberg mountain, south of the city of Salzburg. - Untersbergbahn cableway (1961, cablecar to Geiereck mountain, 1805 m), Untersberg nature reserve, youth centre, museum, Glanegg military rifle training ground, sports facilities; mainly processing and manufacturing industries: metal working (production of moulds, fences, vehicles, control clocks; metal construction), digital cancelling machines for skilift and gate tickets, food and luxury food industries (pasta and confectionery); numerous trading companies (structural ceramics, pumps, hardware and software, shoes, etc.); marble quarries near Fuerstenbrunn since Celtic-Roman times ("Untersberg Marble"), shaping and processing of marble in Oberalm. - First documented in 790; parish church with Romanesque core and Gothic choir (1513, altered in the 19th century), high altar (1809), damaged during the air raids of 1944; Roman votive altar in the cemetery wall; Late Gothic St. Leonhard pilgrimage church with Baroque tower (1643/1644); Glanegg Castle (first mentioned in 1350); connected to the "Pass" dam in 1620; several traditional farmhouses (Einhof); Fuerstenbrunn reservoir (built over a drinking water source of the city of Salzburg).
Literature#Marktgemeinde Groedig (ed.), Festschrift zur Markterhebung von Groedig, 1968.