Gresten, Lower Austria, market town in the district of Scheibbs, alt. 407 m, pop. 1,889,area 3.82 km2, situated on the Kleine Erlauf river in the Eisenwurzen region. - Children´s village, transformer plant; metal shaping and pressing works, wood-processing industry, stone-breaking works (in Oberamt, municipality of Gresten-Land, area 55.48 km2, pop. 1,580), summer tourism. - Late Gothic pier basilica (altered in the 19th century, altarpiece by M. J. Schmidt, 1801), sepulchral monument to H. F. von Zinzendorf (1591); Late Gothic former charnel house, now folklore museum. Stiebar Castle built in 1597 (preserved Gothic chapel belonging to previous building) and renovated in 1790; manor houses of the "Hammerherren" (owners of metalworking shops and forges in the 17th /18th centuries).
Literature#O. Seefried, Geschichte des Marktes Gresten in Niederoesterreich, 1933, 1982.