Gross-Enzersdorf, Lower Austria, town in the district of Gaenserndorf, alt. 156 m, pop. 6,750 (1981: pop. 5,731), area 83.92 km2, industrial and business town in the south-western Marchfeld plain, on the eastern city limits of Vienna. - District court, external offices of the District Commission and labour market service (AMS) of Gaenserndorf, Smola barracks, forestry administration of the city of Vienna (Lobau region), Economic Chamber, provincial health and social insurance office (cashier's office), agricultural research farm of the Vienna University of Agricultural Sciences, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Ecological Farming. Production sector predominant (about 58 % of the working population, 1991): production of frozen foods vegetables, etc.), 2 large-scale printing shops, trade second largest sector. - First documented in 1160 as "Enzinesdorf", property of the diocese of Freising until 1803, town status since 1396, 1938-1954 part of Vienna; originally Gothic parish church (Baroque alterations in the 17th century) with Baroque altar supported by coupled columns (1st quarter of the 18th century); former hospital with church (17th century), now town hall; town wall ring from the Middle Ages with moat and remains of 3 corner towers. Bordering on Gross-Enzersdorf, the Lobau wetland nature preserve, east of the town part of the Danube-Oder Canal project has been implemented.
Literature#Oesterreichisches Staedtebuch, vol. IV, part 1, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1988.