Gumpoldskirchen - Austria-Forum : AEIOU : english
Gumpoldskirchen, Lower Austria, market town in the district of
Moedling, alt. 250 m, pop. 2,982, area 8.11 km2,
wine-growing town at the foot of the Anninger mountain (674 m) on
the edge of the Vienna Basin; 1938-1945 part of "Greater Vienna". -
Federal Winery Inspectorate (external office), control station of the
1st springwater pipeline to Vienna, sports centre, College of
Viticulture (since 1898); approx. 64 % of the working population
employed (1991) in the production sector: leather factory, production
of preserved fruit and vegetables, chemical industry, machine and
apparatus construction, lime and stone-crushing works; wine-growing
and wine taverns, tourism (29,303 overnight stays). First documented
1120-1130,by the Middle Ages already an important wine-growing and
wine trade town; today 200 wine-growers with an annual production of
about 17,000 hectolitres, typical wines are the "Zierfandler",
"Rotgipfler" and "Spaet-Rotgipfler". - Parish church, former church of
the Teutonic Order (1st half of the 15th century),
with massive tower and former commandery house (late Baroque palace),
surrounded by the remains of a fortified wall; Renaissance town hall
(16th century) with prominent corner tower and arcades;
typical winegrowers´ houses (6th -18th
centuries), some with Biedermeier façades; pillory (1563).
Literature: J. Hagenauer, 850 Jahre Gumpoldskirchen, 1990; K. Neumaier, Heimatbuch von Gumpoldskirchen, 1948.
This contribution was taken from an Austrian Encyclopaedia "Österreich Lexikon" © 1995 by Verlagsgemeinschaft Österreich-Lexikon. Pictures and links (if applicable) have been removed. To view them click the link above to get to the Austrian version. That version is also updated more frequently.