Gutau, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Freistadt, alt. 589 m, pop. 2,548, area 45.44 km2 in the eastern Muehlviertelregion. - Institute for Geothermics and Hydrogeology of the Joanneum Research Society, youth welfare centre, cultural centre. Economic structure dominated by commercial enterprises (particularly wood processing), power station, some tourism. - Romanesque-Gothic parish church with stellar vault, choir (around 1400) and Late Gothic crypt chapel (Loreto Chapel) with Baroque alterations. Dyer's museum, Muehlviertel ornithology trail.