Gutenstein, Lower Austria, market town in the district of Wiener Neustadt (Bezirk), alt. 481 m, pop. 1,586, area 104.21 km2, summer holiday resort in the valley basin of the three Piesting rivers, at the foot of the Duerre Wand mountain (1,142 m). Because of its exceptional beauty, the whole area of the municipality is a landscape conservation area. - District court, district Chamber of Agriculture, Ferdinand Raimund festival (in August); forestry and wood processing, production of soft drinks and wires. - Late Gothic parish church with neo-Gothic west tower (1857), Late-Gothic sculptures and Rococo high altar; tomb of F. Raimund in the cemetery (memorial in the town); Gutenstein Castle built in 1674, renewed 1816-1818, contains collection of hunting trophies and paraphernalia; baroque pilgrimage church (1668, enlarged 1712-1724) and Servite monastery (2nd half of the 17th century) on Mariahilferberg Hill (alt. 705 m) with chapels and stations of the cross; castle ruin (first documented in 1220), in disrepair since the 16th century with preserved keep. Forest farmers' museum in the Hofmuehle gristmill; H.-Aratym foundation with large collection of the artist´s works in the Meierhof.
Literature#H. Ast, Markt Gutenstein, 1986; J. Stippel, Geschichte des Marktes Gutenstein, Niederoesterreich, doctoral thesis, Vienna 1964.