San Luis Obispo Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa#
The decision to built the mission was made after a successful hunting mission in the valley, also known as "Valley of the Bears", in 1772. On September 1, 1772 a cross was erected near San Luis Obispo Creek and Father Junípero Serra celebrated the first mass, marking the site as the destination for the mission. The mission was built by Father Cavaller, five Soldiers and two neophytes (natives that converted to Christianity). The local friendly Indian tribe, the Chumash Indians, helped building palisades which would serve as temporary buildings for the mission. Father Cavaller was forced to rebuild a lot of the buildings due to several Indian tribes that were determined to get rid of the European settlers and set these buildings on fire.