Tallahassee Alfred P. Maclay State Gardens#
The gardens began in 1923 when Alfred Barmore Maclay and his wife Louise Fleischmann bought the site. Maclay named it Killearn, after his great-grandfathers birthplace in Scotland. His wife continued their development after his death and opened the gardens to the public in 1946. In 1953 she donated 307 acres (1.24 sq km) of their estate (including the gardens) to the Florida Board of park Service. The gardens were renamed in Maylay's honor in 1965.