unbekannter Gast

Chapel of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God #

Chapel of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God
Licensed under PD
The Chapel of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God was built in 1781 over the Voskresensky (Resurrection) Gate in Moscow to hold a replica of a Greek icon brought from Greece in 1669. The Soviet Government removed the chapel in 1929 and the gate in 1931.

Both were rebuilt between 1994 and 1996. The gate leads to Red Square (Saint Basils Cathedral may be seen through the opening).