Fiji was a Crown colony until 1970, when it gained independence as a Commonwealth realm.
A republic was declared in 1987, following a series of coups.
In a coup in 2006, Commodore Frank Bainimarama seized power. When the High Court ruled in 2009 that the military leadership was unlawful, President Ratu Josefa Iloilo, whom the military had retained as the nominal Head of State, formally abrogated the Constitution and reappointed Bainimarama.
Later in 2009, Iloilo was replaced as President by Ratu Epeli Nailatikau.
After years of delays, a democratic election was held on 17 September 2014.
- The largest export partner of Fiji is US.
- The largest import partner of Fiji is Singapore.
- There are 9 seaports in Fiji.
- The national dance of Fiji is Meke.
- The national dish of Fiji is Fijian Kokoda.
- Text marked as italic is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji unter CC