unbekannter Gast

The Tower of the abbey, still far away.#

The tower of the abbey., Photo: H. Maurer, 2015
The tower of the abbey.
Photo: H. Maurer, 2015

The abbey of Saint-Martin-du-Canigou was originally built in Romanesque style from 1005 to 1009 and was used by Benedictine monks.

It was abandoned by the monks in 1783-1785 and fell into disrepair.

In 1902, the bishop of Elne and Perpignan, because of his Catalan background, began to restore the ruins radically. Work that was completed in 1932.

Today it is occupied by the Catholic Community of the Beatitudes.