unbekannter Gast

Agios Stefanos#

Agios Stefanos
Agios Stefanos, June 2011, © Gerhard Huber

In the far east of the rocky landscape the monastery Agios Stefanos sits enthroned. Transformed into a nunnery in 1961, it has since been managed by enterprising nuns. Its nickname "the Royal" refers to a visit of the Byzantine emperor Andronicus in 1333. Reportedly, the ruler has been so impressed by the hospitality of the monks that he granted generous donations of money and land to the monastery.
Ganz im Osten der Felslandschaft thront das Kloster Agios Stefanos. 1961 in ein Frauenkloster umgewandelt wird es seither von geschäftstüchtigen Nonnen gemanagt. Sein Beiname „das Königliche“ verweist auf einen Besuch des byzantinischen Kaisers Andronikus im Jahre 1333. Der Herrscher soll von der Gastfreundschaft der Mönche so angetan gewesen sein, dass er dem Kloster großzügige Spenden in Form von Geld und Ländereien zukommen ließ.