, a glacial valley in the County Wicklow, was chosen in the 6th century by St. Kevin as the building site of his monastery. Over the course of time the monastery gained fame and fortune and thus was pillaged by the Vikings and later on, in 1398 by English troops who also destroyed it partly.
The Round Tower is built of mica-slate interspersed with granite and has a height of about thirty meters. The entrance is located approximately 3,5m above ground level and was only accessible by a ladder which could be removed in case of a raid. Originally it was a bell tower to summon the priests to prayer and supposedly was built between 900 and 1200.