Egyptian obelisk, Saint Peters Square#
An Egyptian obelisk in Saint Peters Square in Rome. Composed of red granite, the obelisk is 25.5 m tall (41 m to top of cross).
It was transferred to Rome by the Emperor Caligula in A.D. 37, and moved to its current location at the direction of Pope Sixtus V in 1586. It is the only Egyptian obelisk in Rome never to have fallen.