unbekannter Gast

View of St. Marks Square#

View of St. Marks Square
Licensed under PD
View of St. Marks Square in Venice showing the famous Greek horses and the astronomical clock. The bronze horses were originally installed at the Hippodrome in Constantinople and so date back to at least the 4th century.

In 1254 they came to Venice where they remained until 1797 when they were brought to Paris by Napoleon. In 1815 they were returned to Venice. The originals are now in St. Marks Museum.

The original astronomical clock was built between 1496-99. It has been renovated many times, most recently in 1996.