!!!Technische Universität Graz

University of Technology, Graz (additional name since 1976: 
Erzherzog-Johann-Universitaet), developed out of the  Joanneum, 
founded in 1811. It was organised as an institute of higher learning 
in 1864 under the name of "Steiermaerkische Landschaftliche 
Hochschule" (Styria College of Agriculture), which offered 
2 general courses and 4 "Fachschulen" (technical 
colleges); in 1872, the general courses were abandoned and a 
secondary-school leaving certificate ("Reifepruefung") was 
made an admission requirement; in the same year, the university was 
granted the right to elect a rector; nationalised in 1874; in 1878, 
introduction of state examinations (since 1917, graduates have been 
awarded the title "Ingenieur" (engineer), new buildings in 
1888, in 1901 given the right to confer doctorates, in 1928, the 
technical colleges were renamed faculties. From 1935-1937, it was 
combined with the ( University of Mining and Metallurgy) in Leoben; in 
1941, it was organised in 3 faculties, in 1945 in 4, in 1955 again in 
3 faculties; in 1975, it adopted the status of University of 
Technology and is currently organised in 5 faculties: 
Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical 
Engineering and Electronics and Technical Sciences.

Technische Universitaet Graz, 
Erzherzog-Johann-Universitaet. Geschichte, Lehr- und 
Forschungstaetigkeit, 1978; H. P. Weingand, Die Technische 
Hochschule Graz im Dritten Reich, 1988; J. W. Wohinz (ed.), Die 
Technik in Graz, 1999.

[Back to the Austrian Version|AEIOU/Technische_Universität_Graz|class='wikipage austrian']

[{FreezeArticle author='AEIOU' template='Lexikon_1995_englisch'}]
[{ALLOW view All}][{ALLOW comment All}][{ALLOW edit FreezeAdmin}]