unbekannter Gast

Amberg - Catholic Parish Church St. Martin#

Amberg - Catholic Parish Church St. Martin
Amberg - Catholic Parish Church St. Martin, 2015, © Leopold Röhrer

Built in 1421 in Late Gothic style, the church became the stylistic model for many churches in the Saxon mining area. With a length of 72 meters and a width of 20.5 meters and a tower of almost 92 meters, it is considered to be the largest hall church in Northern Bavaria. After the Counter-Reformation and the Spanish Succession War, it received a valuable baroque decoration, including a Baroque high altar with a painting by Gaspar de Crayer, a scholar of Rubens. The tower was given its present form in 1720.
Erbaut ab 1421 im spätgotischen Stil, wurde die Kirche zum stilistischen Vorbild für viele Kirchen im sächsischen Bergbaugebiet. Mit einer Länge von 72 Metern und eine Breite von 20,5 Metern und einem Turm mit fast 92 Metern gilt sie als die größte Hallenkirche Nordbayerns. Nach der Gegenreformation und dem Spanischen Erbfolgekrieg erhielt sie eine kostbare Barockausstattung, darunter einen barocken Hochaltar mit einem Gemälde von Gaspar de Crayer, einem Schüler von Rubens. Der Turm erhielt 1720 seine heutige Form.