Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration, successor
to the short-lived Handels-Hochschule ("Trade University",
1873-1877) and the Export-Akademie des k. k. oesterreichischen
Handels-Museums ("Export Academy of the Imperial Austrian Trade
Museum", founded in 1898); the latter was given a new home in
Vienna´s 19th district in 1917 and was made into the
state-funded Hochschule fuer Welthandel ("University of World
Trade") in 1919. From 1930, it was entitled to award academic
degrees such as Diplomkaufmann ("university trained
merchant") to students having completed their 3rd year
and Doktor der Handelswissenschaft ("Doctor of Commercial
Science") to those having completed a 4-year course of study. In
1966, these titles were replaced by Magister/Doktor der Sozial- und
Wirtschaftswissenschaft ("Master/Doctor of Social and Economic
Studies") but finally phased out in 1975 and 1980, respectively.
In 1975, the name was changed to Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien (Vienna
University of Economics and Business Administration) and the
university was organised in sections such as Business Administration,
Economics, Legal Sciences, the Humanities and Natural Sciences. In
1983 the Humanities and Natural Sciences section also incorporated the
Social Sciences. Since 1982, the Vienna University of Economics and
Business Administration has had its own university complex at
Althanstrasse street in Vienna´s 9th district.
The University Organisation Act (UOG) of 1993 also applies to the University of Economics and Business Administration and gives it a certain degree of autonomy, especially in personnel matters, the appointment of professors etc. and made it possible for the University to establish its own research centre and adopt study regulations.
Literature#A. Brusatti, 70 Jahre Hochschule fuer Welthandel in Wien, 1968; A. Mosser, Die Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien, 1998.