Oedenburg (Sopron, Hungary), town, alt. 212 m, pop. about 57,000 (1993), formerly principal town of Oedenburg county (until 1921), "Scarbantia" in Roman times, located south-east of the Oedenburger Pforte Gap on River Ikva; the Raab Railway crosses Austrian territory. After the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy and a referendum in 1921 Oedenburg became part of Hungary ( Abstimmungsgebiete), whereby the newly created province of Burgenland lost its geographic centre, and Eisenstadt became the capital of the province. The Contract of Oedenburg and Wiener Neustadt (July 19,1463) laid the foundation for the acquisition of Hungary by the Habsburgs.