Assling, municipality in the district of Lienz, Tirol, alt. 1128 m, pop. 2085, area 98.95 km2 , situated in the Drau/Drava valley west of Lienz. Timber and construction firms, electrical engineering, some tourism. First pine liquor distillery in Tirol, game reserve.- Parish church of St. Justina at Burg-Vergein, originally in Gothic style with Baroque alterations, winged altar by F. Pacher (late 15th century); late Gothic shrine to St. Korbinian at Unterassling (consecrated in 1468) with paintings and two Gothic winged altars (late 15th century), Passion altar by the "Master of St. Sigmund" (ca. 1430), Baroque high altar (1660) with rich figurative decor, fresco cycle by A. Peurweg (1579/80), Gothic statue of the Virgin (late 15th century); at Mittewald, "Old Church" ("Alte Kirche") with Renaissance winged altar (1603); Gothic church (15th century, enlarged in 1550) at Oberthal, with altarpiece by J.A. Moelk (1761), balcony (1553) and cycle of paintings (ca. 1580).