Breitenfurt bei Wien#
Breitenfurt bei Wien, Lower Austria, market town in the district of Moedling, alt. 290 m, pop. 4,777 (in 1981: pop. 3,641), 27,00 sq. km, situated in the uppermost valley of the Reiche Liesing river, in the eastern part of the Vienna Woods. Rapidly growing market town in the environs of Vienna (was incorporated from 1938 to 1954). Breitenfurt bei Wien is a popular destination for day-trips for the inhabitants of Vienna. - Forest administration of the Austrian Federal Forests and forestry administration of the City of Vienna; multipurpose hall, mostly small and medium-sized enterprises, trading firms (lamps, photo equipment, etc.), steelworks, machine tools, printing shop. The Baroque castle built by Baron Gregor Wilhelm von Kirchner became imperial property in 1735; most of it was pulled down in 1796; the chapel (main building by E. A. Martinelli from 1714 to 1732) became the parish church, dome fresco in the style of J. M. Rottmayr, stucco statues by G. Giuliani.
Literature#Marktgemeinde B. (ed.), B. und seine Geschichte, 1980.