Deutsch-Wagram, Lower Austria, town in the district of Gaenserndorf, alt. 159 m, pop. 6,111 (1981: pop. 5,021), area 30.61 km2, centre of the north-western Marchfeld plain on the Russbach river; good traffic connections (rapid transit line, northern railway) made it a residential suburb of Vienna. - Headquarters of the Marchfeld Canal Company, regional headquarters of the EVN AG (Lower Austrian Energy Network); economic structure dominated by industry and commerce: production of concrete and cast stones, building materials, metal furniture, corrugated cardboard, equipment for electric cranes and a large service centre for railway carriages; some trade. - First documented around 1250 as "Wachrain", scene of the battle between Archduke Karl and Napoleon (July 5 and 6, 1809), end of the 1st Austrian steam railway line from Floridsdorf to Deutsch-Wagram 1838; oldest railway station building in Austria (1847); oldest water station (1852); town status since 1984; parish church (1956-1958) with late Gothic choir (15th century) and Romanesque tower.
Literature#O. Schilder, Deutsch-Wagram. Vom Angerdorf zur Stadtgemeinde. 1258-1984, 1985; Oesterr. Staedtebuch, vol. IV, part 1, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1988.