Faculty of Theology, Protestant (Evangelisch-theologische Fakultaet), founded in 1821 in Vienna by the state as a School of Protestant Theology; in 1850 re-organised as a university faculty and in 1861 granted the right to confer doctoral degrees. In 1922 it was integrated into the University of Vienna as its 5th faculty. The faculty is responsible for theological research and the training of Protestant theologians. In the course of its history, it has often played a significant part in establishing contact with Protestant minority churches in south-eastern Europe. In 1994 the Protestant Theological Faculty had 10 full professors, 2 honorary professors, 8 lecturers and approximately 400 registered students.