Eberndorf, Carinthia, market town in the district of Voelkermarkt, alt. 476 m, pop. 5,922, area 67.67 km2, summer resort (161,175 overnight stays) and main village in Jauntal valley, southeast of Lake Klopein. - holiday home, professional school for rural home economics (Fachschule fuer laendliche Hauswirtschaft); large tourist industry, therefore dominant service sector (59 % of the workforce employed in the service sector in 1991); industries include fibre board production ( Funder Industrie GmbH), textile machinery and traditional costumes; pipe manifold production. - First documented mention as "Dobrendorf" in 1106. Former Augustinian monastery (1149/54-1604, since 1809 owned by the Benedictines of St. Paul, today used for cultural events and administration offices); the late Gothic collegiate church (parish church) with its free standing tower (15th century) comprises a crypt (around 1390), frescoes (15th century) and Baroque high altars; on Holmberg mountain late Gothic cemetery church with carved high altar (1780) and pedestal statues (17th century). - Nearby are Lake Klopein, Lake Goesselsdorfersee, Lake Sonnegg and Lake Turnersee as well as the Edling run-of-river power station run by the Drau Power Station Company (built in 1962, 405,000 kWh; jointly owned by the municipalities Eberndorf and Voelkermarkt).
Literature#M. Siedler, Marktgemeinde Eberndorf einst und heute, 1992.