Ehrenhausen - Austria-Forum : AEIOU : english
Ehrenhausen, Styria, market town in the district of Leibnitz, alt.
258 m, pop. 1,184, area 3.03 km2, at the entry of
Gamlitzbach river into the River Mur/Mura, near the Slovenian border;
starting point of the "Suedsteirische Weinstrasse" (South Styrian Vine
Road). - Sports and leisure centre; viniculture (winery and champagne
cellars, production of brandy), canning factory. - Late Baroque parish
church (1752-1755) with Pietà (early 15th
century), Renaissance castle (first documented mention 1240, in
the 16th and 17th centuries owned by the
Eggenberg family, re-constructed around 1552) with medieval keep and
arcaded courtyards; Historicist Georgi mansion (late 19th
century); mausoleum (construction begun in 1609, completed in
1680-1693) for Ruprecht (d. 1611) and Wolff von Eggenberg, domed
building, façade with two colossal statues, stucco decoration,
crypt with sarcophagi.
Literature: P. Stauder, 750 Jahre Ehrenhausen, 1988.
This contribution was taken from an Austrian Encyclopaedia "Österreich Lexikon" © 1995 by Verlagsgemeinschaft Österreich-Lexikon. Pictures and links (if applicable) have been removed. To view them click the link above to get to the Austrian version. That version is also updated more frequently.