Bad Leonfelden, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Urfahr-Umgebung, alt. 750 m, pop. 3,419 (1981: pop. 3,048), area 40.29 km2, leading town of the central Muehlviertel region at the edge of the Bohemian Forest near the Czech border, health resort known for its mud bath and Kneipp therapy (therapy after the German priest S. Kneipp combining cold water treatment, diets and outdoor exercise). District Court, health insurance office for the province of Upper Austria, custom house, Austrian study group for independent regional development, therapy centre (treatment of heart and vascular diseases), therapy home, culture and leisuretime centre; schools: Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium secondary school, School of Tourism, boarding school of the Upper Austrian Studentenwerk (independent institution for social assistance of students); tourism (71,372 overnight stays), textiles and gingerbread production; local history museum and school museum for the province of Upper Austria in former hospital church; woodland trail, Gothic St. Bartholomew church (late Gothic Mount of Olives statues, altered 1877), town hall (1608), pilgrimage church Maria Schutz in Bruendl (part of the town, 1761, Rococo interior) with fountain underneath the high altar, remains of a medieval fortification (Schwedenschanze).
Literature#B. Hofer, Die Geschichte des Marktes Bad Leonfelden, doctoral thesis, Vienna 1954.