Bregenz Festival, in 1946 first performance on the lake; in the first years mainly operettas were performed. In 1949 the floating stage was opened which enabled the use of state-of-the-art stage machinery and special effects; in 1980 the new Festival Hall was opened. Since the 70s operettas have been replaced by operas ("The Flying Dutchman", in 1973; "Carmen", in 1974; "Turandot", in 1979); the productions by J. Savary ("The Tales of Hoffmann", in 1987; "The Magic Flute", in 1985; "Carmen", in 1991) achieved renown and have made the Bregenz Festival one of the internationally outstanding summer festivals.
Literature#S. Fritsch, Die Situation des professionellen Theaters der Nachkriegszeit in Vorarlberg mit besonderer Beruecksichtigung der Bregenzer Festspiele (1945-74), doctoral thesis, Vienna in 1975; E. Baer, Spiel auf dem See. Die Bregenzer Festspiele von der Gruendung bis zur Gegenwart, 1984.