Ebenfurth, Lower Austria, town in the district of Wiener Neustadt, alt. 230 m, pop. 2,359, area 23.57 km2, minor traffic junction on the river Leitha, in the southern part of the Vienna Basin, on the border between Lower Austria and Burgenland. - Water engine of the Baden water works, transformer station; building and construction industry, trade (especially building machinery), manufacture of upholstered furniture, satellite aerials, wood processing. - Border town, in the 19th century important industrial centre. Originally Gothic parish church of St. Ulrich, later remodelled in Baroque style, high altar paintings (1721) by J. G. Schmidt, fragments of Gothic frescoes (15th century); Trinity obelisk (1713); the castle goes back to a 13th century moated castle, it was reconstructed as a two-towered castle in the 17th century and rebuilt in the 18th century (French gardens), ceiling frescoes by F. A. Maulbertsch (1754).
Literature#Oesterr. Staedtebuch, vol. IV, part 1, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1988.